27.2.04

I am Felicia and I am not the Grinch. This has been a long time coming but today I had a serious realization. Although many of you have supporting me by your words of conformation and firm belief in my character, I am not the bitch we all thought I was or thought I was capable of becoming. I have way to much emotion to be a corporate litigator and be a professionally heartless for a living. I really didn’t believe it before but it may well be true, many lawyers (maybe even the majority) are mean merciless, unfeeling people. Many arrive at law school that way, others learn as they go along. I have come to this determination by looking around at some of those in my law school class… and trust me when I tell you, these people are more cruel and cold than I could ever be in my wildest dreams. For this reason I believe that I would not make a worthy opponent for many of them, nor would I want to given what you must become to fight at their level.

Today one of my professors, not the nicest guy in the world certainly but not all that bad, ran over time in class by about a minute. Several classmates stood up and walked out quietly. One stood up, made a huge racket, dragged her rolling backpack down the steps… thump, thump, thump and walked to the exit. When the prof. mentioned something, her reply was “Look, my time is precious…” and she proceeded to stomp out the door. The look on his face was awful, he looked hurt and surprised. I, along with several classmates, was completely shocked and embarrassed at her spectacle. This is just one example of the prickly attitude I am surrounded with daily. We have bitter professors who can’t teach and take it out on students, we have frustrated and confused students who take it out of the profs., and all of this is supposed to be teaching us how to be good lawyers?

Another classmate who is actually a close friend and who I consider to be one of the smartest people I have ever met made a similarly startling comment. He saw a blind woman crossing the street with her baby strapped to her and actually (even for a moment) contemplated that she should not be able to have children because it is socially irresponsible! He admits that he then considered the other side of the situation, her rights as a human and all (and don't worry, he has potential and i WILL be working on him, i promise) but: WHAT!? WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH THESE PEOPLE? I am clearly COMPLETELY OUT OF MY BITCH LEAGUE!! Especially given our (e's and my) initial thoughts upon hearing about this woman: Elizabeth said: “wow, what a strong and amazing person.” But when I heard of the woman was how hard things must be for her and how terrible I feel for her challenge…. Clearly not corporate litigator material here. So there is some food for thought for ya. Guess I am looking for a nice policy job from here on out then, huh…