So, I know it's been a month again. Sorry…Sorry…Sorry! Life has been crazy and we haven't been able to get net access much lately because aohell has been pure hell. For some reason aohell doesn't let us do any ftping so we can't edit the website at all unless we connect long distance to Santa Cruz right now. AND since we don't have much dough we can't afford to make a long distance phone call to upload anything. grr.
Anyway, F started law school on Thursday….Well, actually she had orientation both Thursday and Friday and doesn't officially start classes until Monday, but that doesn't mean she didn't have classes worth of homework already (she had one class on Friday and has met with her Module, like her homeroom - they have all their classes together the first year). There are a few people in it that she decided are keepers and the rest she isn't too sure about yet. She sees some potential in others, but hasn't made her mind up yet. There is a lot of "scopeing out" and "weighing" the competition even in the "nice" top 10 ten school, aka berkeley. I think we will all have to wait a few weeks for her to make any decisions on profs, classes, friends, her comprehension(especially when comparing herself to the rest) and happiness, etc. But, let me tell you, I am more excited to hear the answers than you are! She had to buy like 500 dollars in books, and that isn't even all of them, and apparently her mod's books were the cheapest of all of them! Yikes! I'm not sure how we are going to pay for all her stuff and life, but I am sure we will figure it out! At least now our health insurance is free…
which leads me to…
I started my new job last Monday (meaning I just finished my first week). YAY! Yes, I am employed! I am working at UC Berkeley in a lab in the Molecular and Cellular Biology Department. From my first week, I think I am going to get really comfortable and eventually love working there. I don't mean to say that I don't already enjoy it, but it's always hard for me to start something new and this seems all new. New people, new place, new techniques, new machines, everything is new and I hate new. I got my new set of pipetmen on Friday and my oligo on Thursday and for a scientist those are very exciting things. The big guy (my boss, the prof) seems like he's going to be super great; from the encounters I've had with him I am already happy to be there. The other people in the lab seem great too. A few of them don’t seem to be around much and I can't figure that out. Right now I've been working with just one person and she's great. I'd like to be able to get to know her and the others a little more, but being the shy person I am, I never know how to start a conversation that isn’t work related. I know eventually I'll get more comfortable and be able to talk to these people, I always eventually come out of my shell, but I hate it in the mean time, I always feel like people think I am snotty instead of just shy.
Ok, I think it is time for bed as we were up at 3 this morning cause f is sick. Hopefully everybody is doing well…anybody want to update us on your life?