26.2.03

she will probably kill me for making this public.....but f is having a shit fit because she got her first REAL acceptance today.....anybody want to guess? ok, i won't make you....berkeley! yes, she is into not only a top tier school, but a top 10 school! it's actually number 8 after yale, harvard, and stanford,etc. but she was worried about getting into a top tier at all. uw is 23, and davis is 32...and then there is santa clara - tier two (who btw, has been very rude lately - i told her to call and withdraw her application...JUST to be a snot) hmm....maybe my cookie is smarter than she thought!

she has been having dreams about getting acceptances/rejections for the past three nights and has been freaking out.

SO...F is going to a real law school...now, will it be berkeley? or will somebody else make her an offer she can't possibly refuse....UW? Stanford? NYU? hmmm.....more waiting!




Hello, now it is F (after the beans have clearly been spilled)… some of you have requested the story so here it is… I have been visiting the mail box 2-3 times a day for the past week mostly waiting for Santa Clara (but also Davis and Boalt). Given the schools that have not requested my presence next year, I was sure of a denial from Boalt and maybe even from Davis but still desperately hoping for a top tier school.

The other thing that e and I have become almost certain of is that small envelopes that are not expected are not good news… no matter what they say… big envelopes make us happy… after all, as we told Dave-o, they are not going to pay to send you something big unless they like you, at least a little. Moral to the story: they don’t send you a “you are a looser” letter in a big envelope!

So I must say I had been dreaming about small little envelopes that stark, angry, o- so- university of California font in the upper left corner for nights. And when I saw a large, heavy looking envelope at the bottom of the mail box I could hardly allow myself to believe that it was from a school, let alone from a dream-type school. Needless to say… my reaction was somewhat… severe. As I pulled out the envelope and saw who it was from I began to quiver uncontrollably. I dropped the rest of the mail. A man in a yellow pick-up truck driving by slowed down to make sure I was not having a seizure and I had to wave him on, letting him know that I was ok and that it was a “good seizure”. I then ripped open the heavily reinforced package (with some big ass packing tape) and, which I noticed later was sent priority, (interesting…). When I saw the big blue folder with the gold Cal on the front I didn’t need to look much farther… I ran up the drive, right past the trash cans which I had gone down to get, in order to yell at mom and call e who was at the library.

And the rest is history… even if I don’t go there… it tells me something… they took me for a reason… if only I can convince myself that they were correct to think I can do it…


Stats:
7000 applications for a fall 2003 class of 270
7-14% = approx. acceptance rate (our estimate)
15 hours = approx. time before the first Boalt recruiting call came (so how did they know I had already gotten it?)
3 = total number of letters and calls from boalt that basically assume I have been accepted to Stanford as well
2 = current total of family members that just don’t get it…
2/26 = date I got acceptance (one of the first sent out…)
3 = number of times I checked the SS# to make sure the package was for this FOrtiz