26.5.06

I just came home from attending the PhD graduation party of my oldest friend. I have known her for 21 years which is saying something given my own age. I am a lawyer. She is a doctor. As I drove home I thought of our lives. We went to kindergarten together, science camp in 6th grade, we were obsessed with a little frog for a year, graduated from elementary school, went to junior high--terrified, didn't speak for a while, ate lunch together every day for 2 years, fought over boys, went to high school, again ate lunch together for years, were on sports teams and in clubs, when off to colleges the I the furthest south and she the furthest north possible, emailed, wrote, visited, talked cried, met each other's new loves, shared heartbreak, shared pain, shared loss, lived 3 miles apart for 3 years in graduate school only seeing eachother a handful of times.

and after all of this, we sit down for appitizers and it is like no time has passed at all.