Top stupidest things said to me during my interviews (most were from one interviewer!!):
10) I expect your responsibility here to be just like any other lawyer. (I ask how much the pay is) he responds: well if you have work study it is $15 an hour because that way I only have to pay $6 out of pocket for you. BTW have you seen my view of union square?
9) where were you the year between undergrad and law school (I give answer), 3 questions later… where were you the year between undergrad and law school?
8) how do you think going to a women’s college affected your opinions on sex based harassment/discrimination?
7) well thanks for your candid discussion of your time with the Judge, I appreciate it because it helps me win cases in front of her.
6) from employment attorney: is sexual orientation covered under title VII? What is sexual orientation discrimination anyway?
5) from employment attorney: what is conditional discrimination? Why don’t you just call it disability discrimination?
4) are any of your references viable? One doesn’t know you, and one is a personal family friend?
3) why haven’t you taken more classes?
2) where is your family from? Why don’t you have fluent in Spanish on your resume?
1) what is phi beta kappa?
Ok… so that is how my day went. I have done 3 call backs this week and 1 the week before and some more next week. I’m tired but at least I now have a list of favorites and so now I just have to see who put me on their list of favorites….
On a brighter note, I got some new shoes and clothes and heartfelt talks about life, employment, and the rights and wrongs of “her generation” while my mom was here for a few days. Yay for cheap places to shop like target and payless!